As per the press release, Professor Gagandeep Kang, FRS, Professor of Microbiology and Laboratory Director, Division of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore were the Chief Guest on the event. The event started off with a welcome speech by the Institute’s Director Professor Subhasis Chaudhuri which was followed by the inauguration of the Gender Sensitization Programme which is an online training programme for faculty and staff of the Institute.
According to the press release, the Director of the Institute Professor,Subhasis Chaudhuri said, “While it is gratifying for us to be recognized as teachers on this special day, it also entrusts us with a greater responsibility, that we continue to be good students ourselves to learn new concepts and help the future generation of students.”
The event also had an award ceremony. As per the press release, the IIT Bombay International Award for Excellence in Research in Engineering and Technology (instituted by Mr. Sandeep Naik and Mr. Shantanu Rastogi) was conferred on Dr. Santosh Ansumali, Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research for his excellent contributions to Research in Engineering and Technology. Professor S.C. Sahasrabudhe Life Time Achievement Award of IIT Bombay was congratulated to Professor A.K. Suresh, Department of Chemical Engineering for his contribution to the Institute. The D.K Patwardhan Technology Development Award (2021) was given to Professor Debjani Paul and team, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering in recognition of their R and D work on “ShapeDx: A high-accuracy, point-of-care sickle cell test”.
As per the press release, the next award was the Professor S.P. Sukhatme Award for Excellence in Teaching and Dr. P. K. Patwardhan Technology Development Award (2021) which was given to select faculty members for their contribution in teaching and research. Below is the list of faculty members who were given the award
- Sandesh Rame, IDC School of Design
- Surya Durbha, Centre for Studies in Resources Engineering
- Rangan Banerjee, Department of Energy Science and Engineering
- Sumant Rao, IDC School of Design
- U. Anandavardhanan, Department of Mathematics
- Abhiram Ranade, Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Sreedhara Sheshadri, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Parag Kumar Chaudhuri, Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Parag Bhargava, Department of Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science
- Ravi Sinha, Department of Civil Engineering
- Usha Ananthakumar, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management
- Varadraj Bapat, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management
- Bernard Menezes, Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Kishore Chatterjee, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Krishnaiyengar Narasimhan, Department of Metallurgical Engineering &
- Materials Science
As per the press release, there were about 60 students who were awarded for their brilliant academic performance. The fucntion was attended by the Dean (Academic Programme) Professor Avinash Mahajan, Dean (Faculty Affairs) Professor Neela Natraj, Dean (Research and Development) Professor Milind Atrey, Heads of Departments, faculty members and students as per the press release.