Mumbai News

3-year-old falls to death from Churchgate club’s fifth floor during WC finals party in Mumbai – Times of India

MUMBAI: A Fifa World Cup final match event at Garware Club, Churchgate, turned into a tragedy for a family from Parel as their 3-year-old boy fell from the fifth floor after slipping out of a gap in the railing late Sunday evening. The boy’s parents were on the club’s sixth-floor terrace, watching the finals at the time.
The boy, Hrudyanshu Avnish Rathod, sustained severe head injuries and was rushed to Bombay Hospital where he was taken to the ICU. He was declared dead soon after. An accidental death report has been registered at Marine Drive police station.
The stairway where the child fell from has glass slabs as railings and a steel banister. A relative said one slab of glass was missing, leaving a “huge” gap from where the child slipped out. “This is criminal negligence as they didn’t do anything to fix it before organising such a programme,” said the relative. Calls made by TOI to Garware Club office-bearers were not answered.
The police said that around 11pm, the child had gone to the washroom on the fifth floor with an 11-year-old boy and was returning to the terrace.
Older boy was ahead, raised alarm seeing 3-year-old fall
A 3-year-old boy who died after falling from the 5th floor of Churchgate’s Garware club was returning from the washroom when the incident occurred.
“The 11-year-old boy was walking a little ahead of the younger boy on the staircase. The older boy heard some noise and turned around to find that the little boy had fallen in the staircase pit. He rushed upstairs and informed his parents and relatives,” said a police officer.
A security guard on the ground floor heard a thud and saw the child lying on the floor. By then, the boy’s family and relatives reached the spot and rushed him to Bombay Hospital. The boy later died, said the police.
The child had sustained severe injuries on the forehead and the back of the head, said the police. His body was later sent to GT Hospital for a post-mortem.
“The body has been handed over to the family,” said a police officer. Investigators have recorded the statements of the security guard and the 11-year-old boy. “We will record the child’s family’s statement later since they are in a state of shock right now,” said the officer.