Photo : PTI
The MMRDA is conducting safety trials of the two stretches in the city’s western suburbs before the commencement of its operation. After the final rolling stock and signalling inspections, the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety will give the final go-ahead for passengers to use the corridors.
Metro Line 2A
- The 18.6 km Metro Line 2A from Dahisar to D N Nagar is an elevated corridor with 17 stations. It shall provide connectivity between the Western, Central Mumbai and Northern suburban Mumbai.
- The stations are: Andheri (West), Lower Oshiwara, Oshiwara, Goregaon (West), Pahadi Goregaon, Lower Malad, Malad (West), Valnai, Dahanukarwadi, Kandivali (West), Pahadi Eksar, Borivali (West), Eksar, Mandapeshwar, Kandarpada, Upper Dahisar and Dahisar (East). Metro Line 7 has 13 stations — Gundavali, Mogra, Jogeshwari (East), Goregaon (East), Aarey, Dindoshi, Kurar, Akurli, Poisar, Magathane, Devipada, RashtriyaUdyan and Ovaripada.
- This stretch connects with Metro Line 1 (Ghatkopar to Versova), the ongoing Metro Lines 2B (D N Nagar to Mandale), Metro Line 6 (Swami Samarth Nagar to Vikhroli) and the Line 7 (Andheri (E) to Dahisar (E)).
- Once it becomes operational, it is expected to ease the traffic congestion on one of the busiest routes, the New Link Road, from Dahisar Easr to DN Nagar.
- It also facilitates interchange with the suburban rail system and MRT system at Dahisar and D N Nagar.
- According to MMRDA, Line 21 shall reduce the current travel time by anything between 50 percent and 75 percent depending on road conditions.
Metro Line 7
- From Andheri East to Dahisar East, Mumbai Metro Line 7 cover 16.5 km with 14 stations. It provides connectivity between Central Mumbai and the Northern suburban parts of the city.
- The stations are Dahisar East, Ovaripada, Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP), Devipada, Magathane, Poisar, Akurli, Kurar, Dindoshi, Aarey, Goregaon East (Mahanand Dairy), Jogeshwari East (JVLR Junction), Shankarwadi, Gundavali (Andheri East).
- This corridor provides interconnectivity among the existing Western Express Highway, Metro Line 1 (Ghatkopar to Versova), the Metro Line 6 (Swami Samarth Nagar to Vikhroli) and the Line 2A.
- Also, it has an interchange with the suburban rail system and MRT system at Andheri, JVLR and Dahisar.
- This corridor provides access to the Mumbai International Airport (CSMIA), SEEPZ, National Park and other commercial and geographical landmarks.
Both Metro lines, 2A and 7 have a common station at Dahisar.
Indian Railways’ technical arm-Research, Standards and Design Organisation (RDSO) has already given its clearance for Phase 2 of Metro lines 2A and 7.