MUMBAI: The father of a student seeking admission to first year junior college in Mumbai has knocked on the door of the Bombay high court, to intervene and direct the state to work out a “viable solution” to restart the process at the earliest. The HC is scheduled his hear the petition on October 27.
Vishal Saxena, a Mumbaibased advocate, said the process of FYJC admissions that had begun over a month ago were stalled on September 9 as the Supreme Court ordered an interim stay on the Maratha reservation in education and public employment. His petition says that more than 2.3 lakh students in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, including his daughter, were thus facing an “uncertain future”.
Saxena said that “various private colleges had already stated classes online”. Junior colleges usually start the new academic year in August, which had already been delayed to the Covid-19 pandemic and resultant lockdown, said Saxena’s petition. It added that any further delay in starting admission was going to burden students with added stress about completion of syllabus.
The stress of waiting is “causing a mental agony”, said the petition, and sought orders to the state government to “formulate a strategy to start FYJC admissions”.
The petition made the state chief minister and state education minister party to it. After class X board examinations this year, over 2.8 lakh students registered for the FYJC admission process in MMR, with over 2.3 lakh submitting their applications. The first round of admissions is over. The second round was due to start on September 10.
If no remedial solution is found soon, the petitioner fears it “may result in wide spread anger and frustration among the students and their parents… and result in deterioration mental agony among parents and students who have already suffered much due to the pandemic”.