Mumbai News

‘Drug addict’ cuts gran’s head, keeps it on dining table in Mumbai – Times of India

MUMBAI: An 80-year-old woman from Bandra was murdered allegedly by her 25-year-old grandson at their home on Tuesday. The youth, Christopher Dias, had decapitated the elderly woman, Rosy Dias, hours after he had been sent home from a de-addiction centre where he was being treated.
The head was kept on the dining table while the internal organs had been ripped apart and lay strewn around the house in Cosmo Chawl, which was awash with blood, said a police officer.
He then called up his father who was in Goa and told him what he had done.
A police officer said that Christopher’s father took the next available flight after he got the call and reached home on Tuesday morning. “The father was shocked when he opened the door. He passed out at the sight,” said the officer. “The son was sitting in a pool of blood. When the father asked the son about what he had done, the youth told him with a smile that he had killed his grandmother.”
Christopher remained calm at Bandra police station and kept smilingly when investigators questioned him why he had committed the offence. He has been sent to police custody till October 17. Deputy commissioner of police Abhishek Trimukhe said he has been booked for murder.
The police said Christopher had been undergoing de-addiction at a rehabilitation centre for the past 18 months. The centre had sent him home after his parents failed to make a payment of Rs 6 lakh. His parents live and work in Israel and his father had recently come down to meet his family.
Christopher had come to the grandmother’s home – a ground-plus-one house. While the elderly woman lived on the ground floor, Christopher’s cousins put up on the upper storey. The police said that when he came to the grandmother’s house, she had served him and his cousins food.
“Christopher’s cousins had came downstairs to meet him, but their father [Christopher’s uncle] scolded them and told them to keep a distance from him,” said an officer.
The police said Christopher could have committed the crime after 12.30 am when the elderly woman went to sleep. Neighbours informed the police around 10 am on Tuesday.