Maharashtra, Mumbai, Pune Coronavirus News Live Updates: With Maharashtra reporting 24,619 coronavirus cases on Thursday, the total number of infections in the state rose to while the death toll soared to 31,351 with an addition of 398 deaths during the day. As many as 19,522 patients were discharged on Thursday after treatment, taking the number of recoveries in the state to 8,12,354 and the state now has 3,01,752 active cases.
Mumbai reported 2,389 new COVID-19 cases, the highest single-day count so far, taking the tally to 1,78,275 on Thursday, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said. Also, 43 more patients succumbed to the infection, pushing up the toll to 8,320, it said. The previous highest single-day case count was 2,371, reported on September 10. According to the civic body’s update, the city’s active COVID-19 cases rose to 32,849, the highest in the past couple of months.
With 16 people working at Mantralaya, the state secretariat building, succumbing to Covid-19 so far, government officials have threatened to stop work if the condition of 100 per cent attendance is not withdrawn. In a representation to Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Wednesday, the Maharashtra State Gazetted Officers Federation (MSGOF) and the Maharashtra Mantralaya Officers Association (MMOA) has blamed the lack of precautionary measures and the violation of social distancing norms for the surge in the number of cases, while arguing that the decision mandating 100 per cent attendance of class A and class B officials was ill-conceived.
Prohibitory orders restricting the movement of people have been extended in Mumbai till September 30 in view of rising coronavirus cases, an official said on Thursday. The restrictions under section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure are in place since lockdown began. They were extended as per the August 31 guidelines about easing of the lockdown of the Maharashtra government, and no new restrictions have been imposed, PTI reported.
Maharashtra coronavirus LIVE updates: Covid screening camp in progress at Trombay Koliwada on Friday. (Express Photo by Amit Chakravarty)
Maharashtra, Mumbai, Pune Coronavirus Live Updates:
At least 15 per cent of the 1.49 lakh children aged up to six years screened during a drive conducted by the Women and Child Development department in Nandurbar in July has been found malnourished. The drive, the first since the coronavirus outbreak, also found that 7.9 per cent of the children in the age group in Melghat and 2.3 per cent in Palghar were malnourished.
While the three tribal districts have historically reported maximum cases of malnutrition in Maharashtra, officials have pointed out that the higher numbers could be linked to the lockdown since March, which affected nutrition programmes across the state.
According to Women and Child Development department, of the 1.49 lakh children up to six years screened in Nandurbar, 3,710 were found with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) and 18,644 with moderate acute malnutrition (MAM). Dr Nitin Borke, Nandurbar district health officer, said the increase in malnourishment is likely because of the return of local migratory population from Gujarat and other parts of Maharashtra.
Meanwhile, an officer of the NCB team probing into the narcotics case, in which actor Rhea Chakraborty along with 17 others has been arrested, tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday. Four other members of the SIT have tested negative. “All members of the NCB SIT got tested for Covid-19. The team member, who was earlier tested positive, has been quarantined and all other team members tested negative,” K P S Malhotra, Deputy Director, NCB, said.
Meanwhile, the BMC has sought help from corporators to conduct ‘My Family, My Responsibility’ campaign in Mumbai as part of the state government’s outreach campaign to check the health status of over 40 lakh households in Mumbai to contain the spread of Covid-19.