Mumbai News

Mumbai: Modak Sagar lake starts overflowing, but water cut remains – Mumbai Mirror

The BMC owned Modak Sagar lake that supplies 450 million litres of water to Mumbai city started overflowing on Tuesday evening. Two gates of the dam were opened at 9.24 pm. Meanwhile Tansa lake in Shahapur tehsil is expected to overflow by Wednesday or Thursday. This also supplies 450 million litres of water to Mumbai.

Though it is raining very well in the catchment area of the seven lakes that supply water to Mumbai, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s top management says that they will not remove the water cut till the stocks in the reservoirs reach 95 per cent of the total stock.

Mumbai gets its water supply from BMC owned Tulsi, Vehar, Middle Vaitarna, Modak Sagar and Tansa lakes and irrigation department owned Upper Vaitarna and Bhatsa lakes. Of this, Modak Sagar, Vehar and Tulsi- the smaller lakes have started overflowing.

The Palghar district administration has given a warning to 98 villages about flooding as Modak Sagar has started overflowing. The Modak Sagar’s overflow water is also transferred to Tansa lake which is downstream.

Bhatsa lake which supplies nearly 50 per cent of water to Mumbai was at 137. 33 metres at 10 pm on Tuesday while the spill mark is 142.07 metres.

The BMC had to impose a water cut of 20 per cent as rains were poor in catchment area of Shahapur tehsil of Thane district and Igatpuri tehsil of Nashik from August 5. Since last Tuesday, the rains have improved in the catchment area.

A very senior officer of the BMC said, “We will reduce the water cut to 10 per cent, once the water stock reaches 85 per cent and totally remove the water cut when the stock reaches 95 per cent. Exactly two years back, we had faced a situation when it did not rain at all from August 1 to September 15. What if we face a situation like this now. The lakes have to be filled to the brim till September 30 to ensure a cut free supply during the entire year.’’

Untitled Carousel

Tulsi lake overflows as rains continue to lash Mumbai

Tulsi Lake, one of the seven lakes that supply water to Mumbai, overflowed on July 27, 2020 at around 12 noon. Tulsi is one of the smallest lakes which contributes one percent of total water storage for the city. The lake supplies an average of 18 million litres (1.8 crore liters) of water per day.